Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Can Do All Things

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I started running this year, and I meditate on that verse often; usually when I feel like stopping. But, seriously, can I really do "all things?" 

After a long, sedentary time in my life, I trained for and finished my first 10K in 64:51. Nothing spectacular. It took the guy who won the race less than half that time to fly up and down Monument Avenue. So, if my faith was stronger, could I have passed him? After all, I can do "all things."

Not a chance. When Paul wrote the words, "all things," he wasn't referring to just any crazy idea that dashed into his mind. He meant that he could rise to any challenge to which God had called him. In his case, he was trying to live and minister while under house arrest.

So God had not called me to win that 10K. But I believe He had called me to get my butt out of my big red recliner, prepare for the race, and complete it. Through Christ, I was able to do that. 

I don't know what He'll call me to next. But I know this. He'll give me strength. And if I throw in the towel, it's not His fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment