Saturday, December 1, 2012

RODS Racing


It's official: I'm the newest member of the RODS Racing Team.

Ironman Brady Murray founded RODS to help orphans with Down Syndrome find a home. The athletes of RODS run everything from 5Ks to full Ironman races in order to help fund these adoptions.


In most cases all of the RODS athletes race for a single orphan. When that adoption is fully funded, they move on to the next. They've had life changing success; I'm honored to be a part of this organization and ready to run my heart out. My first scheduled race for 2013 is the Instant Classic Trail Marathon. 

Through a special arrangement with the RODS Team, I'll be running to support Ana and Tim until their adoption is fully funded.Older orphans like Ana and Tim are in a  particularly dangerous situation. At sixteen years old, they will have to leave their orphanage. With no family, no social safety net, and the stigma of having been raised in an orphanage, a tragically high percentage of these young people turn to crime or suicide. In some cases, the only thing standing between them and a family is money: it typically costs $35,000 for a family to adopt a child internationally.

RODS works hand in hand with Reece's Rainbow to provide adoption grants. I first learned about RODS through my association with Reece's, so this just seemed a natural fit. Once Ana and Tim are home, I'll keep running until my legs crumble. There are just so many beautiful, needy kids waiting to bless a family. And if pounding the pavement will help to get them there, then let's keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment