Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Expect Great Things from God, Attempt Great Things for God

This morning, old-buddy-old-pal Jeff calls me over to his desk. What was your last half marathon time? he asks. 2:20, I reply. Tell you what, says he, I'll pledge $1 per mile for your next race. But if you can hit 2:10, I'll up it to $5 per mile. Gulp, says I. That's a 9:55 pace. Yes, there are runners who could crab-walk that fast. But for me - well - let's just say that the finish line picture won't be too flattering.

Later that day, Brady Murray - Iron Man and founder of RODS Racing - sends me this email:
I'll match that pledge.  $1 for every mile, if you go break 2:10, I'll make it $5 / mile.  You'd be amazed at what you can do when racing for a cause!  Start easy, work into it and then finish strong!  You got this! 
Racing for a cause. I thought about that tonight as I ran 4 miles on a hilly course at a 9:30 pace. God didn't adopt me into His family so that I could curl up on the couch. He's given me the privilege and responsibility to get up and attempt great things. Great things for His glory. Great things like bringing two young people out of an orphanage and into a home. And if that means I've got to break out of my comfortable pace, that's OK  I'm expecting great things from God.

And by the way, if you'd like to join in on this challenge you can sign up here. You can also learn more about  Ana and Tim and help them out directly by visiting the our adoption blog.

1 comment:

  1. You rock Dad! You owned that PR challenge! 14 min improvement from your last half marathon? Excelliente!

    ReplyDelete